Monday, April 23, 2012

My Favorite Things

One of my favorite things in the whole world is to watch Leo walk into school.  As he is getting out of the car in the morning, I always tell him "Have a good day, I love you" or some variation of this.  He looks at me with this mix of embarrassment and love on his face.  Occasionally, I will get a response, but mostly he just quickly shuts the car door and runs into school.  I smile every morning watching him racing in the school with a huge backpack on his back.  Today it hit me that the backpack no longer seems too big for him.  He has grown so much this school year.  I choke back tears, shocked at how quickly he has gone from my baby to a independent little boy. 

Walking into school on the first day of kindergarten


My other favorite thing is when Nora runs to meet me at the door.  No matter how long I have been gone, Nora comes running up to me and gives me the biggest hug when I get home.  She hugs me like I have been gone for days.  It thrills me.  I feel like a rock star with an adoring fan.  Nora holds me so tight like she never wants me to go again.  I absolutely love it because I know this will not last.  Leo is glad I'm home too, I'm sure, but his biggest concern is whether or not I bought him anything at the store.  It makes me laugh every time because rarely, if I have been grocery shopping or running errands, do I bring home a special treat for the kids.  I guess Leo is checking just in case.

I love this rotten smile!

Being mother of the year has many perks.  Now if I can only remember to enjoy them more often. 

No comments:

Post a Comment